Contractor/Vendors Minimum Insurance Requirements

Contractors/Vendors are required to submit evidence of insurance prior to commencement of services, and such insurance must be approved by the office of risk management.

The minimum insurance required shall be:

  1. Statutory Workers’ Compensation & Employers Liability Insurance: Under the laws of the State of New York and any other laws that may be applicable thereto. Coverage “B” Employers Liability must have limits of at least $1,000,000.  The Workers’ Compensation policy shall be endorsed with a waiver of subrogation in favor of the University for all work performed by any Contractor, its employees, agents, and subcontractors.
  2. Commercial General Liability Insurance: Subject to limits of at least $1,000,000 each occurrence and $2,000,000 aggregate. Coverage must be provided for Bodily Injury Liability, Property Damage Liability, Independent Contractors Liability, Contractual Liability, and Products-Completed Operations Liability.
  3. Automobile Liability Insurance: Subject to limits of least $1,000,000 combined single limit for each accident. Coverage must be provided for owned, non-owned, and hired automobiles.
    • If vehicles are used for transporting any Hazardous Substances, such shall be endorsed to provide pollution liability broadened coverage for covered vehicles.
    • For Charter Bus Companies, the minimum Automobile Liability coverage required is $5,000,000.
  4. Umbrella/Excess Liability insurance: Subject to limits of at least $5,000,000 per occurrence and follow-form of the primary Commercial General Liability, Business Automobile Liability insurance, and Employers Liability policies.

Contractors are required to verify that all subcontractors maintain insurance meeting all the requirements stated herein.

Cornell reserve the right to modify these requirements, including limits, based on the nature of the risk, prior experience, insurer, coverage, or other special circumstances.

The following insurance is required as applicable:

  • Liquor Liability Insurance: Subject to limits Subject to limits of at least $1,000,000 each occurrence
  • Professional/Errors & Omission Liability: Subject to limits of at least $1,000,000 per claim/$2,000,000 aggregate for professional services. The coverage must be maintained during the term of the agreement and at least three (3) years following its completion. A separate professional liability policy is not required if it can be satisfactorily documented that the coverage is contained in the general liability policy.
  • Cyber Liability insurance: Information technology services involving Personally Identifiable Information (PII), Protected Health Information (PHI), or any other Cornell University Confidential/Sensitive Information contact Risk Management.
  • Crime Insurance Subject to limits of at least $1,000,000 per claim.
  • Property Insurance: “All Risk, providing replacement cost coverage for any property damage to Contractor’s property which is caused by a loss of any kind and description to any property brought onto Cornell University premises. The University is NOT responsible for any equipment or property that is lost, stolen, damaged, or left behind.
  • Any contract/agreement involving minors shall include coverage for Sexual Abuse and Molestation in an amount no less than $2,000,000 per occurrence is required and the coverage shall NOT include an employee exclusion. However prior approval from the Office of Risk Management and Insurance is required.

 Other requirements:

  • Additional Insured: Cornell University, its trustees, officers, directors, agents, representatives, and employees are to be added as Additional Insured as required by contract, and evidence of such will be provided on a certificate of insurance. Each policy shall contain provisions giving Cornell at least 30 days written (10 days in the case of non-payment) notice of cancellation, non-renewal, or other change in coverage. The coverages shall also be primary and non-contributory.
  • Proof of Insurance: Certificates of Insurance evidencing all required coverage must be received by the Office of Facilities Contracts, 121 Humphreys Service Building, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, prior to any work

These requirements are not applicable to Cornell Tech and any construction work/project.  Please contact the Office of Risk Management and Insurance directly for further guidance.