Temporary Food Permits

Event organizers planning to serve food to the public will need to follow the Tompkins County Health Department’s Temporary Food Permit process.

University departments and University Sponsored Organizations do not need to complete the Workers Compensation Board’s Certificate of Exemption  application process (CE-200) because the organizations, and their events, are supervised by University employees who are acting within the scope of their employment and employees are covered under worker’s compensation.

Independent Student Organizations need to complete the Worker’s Compensation Board’s Certificate of Exemption (CE-200) because students in these organizations are not covered under worker’s compensation.  Please be aware that it may take up to four (4) weeks to obtain a Temporary Food Permit due to recent changes to the New York State Workers Compensation Board’s Certificate of Exemption (CE) application process.

  • Here are instructions for obtaining a CE 200 under the updated process: How to Obtain a Certificate of Exemption form 200.   If you cannot obtain the CE 200 online, please complete and submit the following paper application: CE-200 ApplicationSubmitting a paper application will likely take a lot more time to process; therefore, it is not the best option.
  • While completing form CE-200,  you will prompted to select an “entity type.”  There is no longer an option that includes student or volunteer organizations.  You may select the option that best describes your organization.  However, we recommend selecting “Individual (Sole Proprietor)” if you are unsure of which option to select.
  • If you are an international student, and do not have a Social Security Number, please contact the Workers Compensation Board for assistance.
  • Your mailbox mailing address in Willard Straight Hall (WSH) can serve as your “business address”
  • Similar to the “entity type” issue, there is no longer a “industry classification” category for student organizations.  You will need to select the option that best fits your organization.
  • When you reach the screen titled, “Worker’s Compensation Coverage Exemptions” you should select option 2.
  • When prompted to provide the Temporary Service Name and Phone number, you should enter your organization’s name and your President’s phone number.
  • If you need additional assistance, please contact the Workers Compensation Board:
    • Customer Service Toll–Free Number: (877) 632-4996
    • Bureau of Compliance: for questions related to Workers’ Compensation or Disability Insurance Coverage: (866) 298-7830
    • New York Business Expres (NYBE) Contact Center – (518) 485-5000