If you are planning a special event on campus, we recommend that you complete an Event Registration Form. The form is on line at http://www.activities.cornell.edu/eventreg/.
Proper planning can go a long way in making your event a safe and successful venture. The first step in the planning process is to:
- Evaluate the risks involved in your event. This involves identifying the risks of your activities. A list of risk factors can be viewed here.
- Consider the feasibility of alternative risk management techniques. These may include:
- Transferring the risk to a contractor. (See Risk Management for details.)
- Enacting additional safety procedures. Call Cornell police, Risk management & Insurance, Environmental Health & Safety, or Cornell Dining (Food risks)
- Duplication of data and equipment
- Avoid the risk. Decide if the risk is acceptable or unacceptable.Do you have the expertise (training) to conduct the activity safely? Is the activity in line with your mission? How important is the activity to your overall mission? Are there alternatives which are safer or which are a better use of resources?
- Special insurance coverage
- Monitor the results of your chosen techniques.
- Reevaluate your decision.
If you have questions regarding the University’s insurance coverage or the evaluation of risk for a particular project, please contact the Department of Risk Management and Insurance. We are available to answer your questions and assist you in your endeavors.